Friday, September 21, 2012

Starting the Season Off Right!

Hello everyone! Happy first day of Autumn! Here at the Mundy household we thought we would start the season off right with some Pumpkin Ale that we picked up from the BX, which is a store on base that sells pretty much everything you could need! Yumm, is it good!


I was able to speak with my mom today, and apparently it is a beautiful fall day up in New England. Well, that isn't really the case down here in Del Rio. Today our high is 91! It's not too miserably hot, but I am wishing that it felt more like fall. As you can see, the weather poops Dulce out!


This week was a pretty interesting week for us because the base is going through their biannual inspection. This takes a couple weeks and is a really stressful time for a lot of people down here. But, for some reason Rick ended up having the easiest week he has had yet. Go figure! He ended up working a different shift down at the T6 maintenance shop because they were undermanned, but they really didn't need him too much either. He also helped out the Fire Department with their inspection for a couple days by being a body that needed saving, which was a pretty easy job for him as I'm sure you can imagine!


A couple of interesting things happened to me this week as far as jobs are concerned. I finished and submitted an application for an entry-level electrical engineering position for the International Boundary and Water Commission down at Lake Amistad. Surprisingly, I was qualified to apply even though I am a mechanical engineer. Also, I ended up getting selected to work as a library aid on base. I figure that it will be good for me to have something to do other than applying for jobs and watching Dulce. Although she is pretty darn cute!


It is only a part-time job and I am actually really looking forward to starting next week! Yay for getting out of the house! I would like to thank everybody I texted the other day for agreeing to vouch for me for the ridiculously intense background check I had to go through to be a library aid. I needed somebody to verify all of the places I lived (including school), worked, went to school, and to prove that I existed for the past 5 years. I'm pretty sure that they will realize that I am not an alien. Or atleast I hope they realize this!


 I am also going to be tutoring a couple of students for different math courses at the local high school. When I saw the school was looking for math tutors, I was pretty psyched about it! I think I have 3 students signed up so far for tutoring hours next week. Not only will I get paid, but I will also be able to brush up on my math skills! Woot woot!


Other than that, I am proud to say that my husband has been enjoying my cooking! I started making a weekly menu in order to make the cooking easier on me, since I really have no idea what I'm doing. I go through my different recipe books, most importantly the recipe books my mom and my college roommate Haley made for me, and then make a grocery list based on what I need for the recipes. Here is the book Haley made for me as a wedding present!


I have been making many many trips to the Commissary each week because we run out of or simply don't have ingredients. Making a weekly menu is helping me only have to go on 1 or 2 trips to the Commissary. Trust me, it's an improvement!


Haley basically cooked for me and made sure I ate during my last year of college. If it weren't for her, at the very best I would not have eaten well at all, and at the very worst I would have starved. This week I cooked two of my favorite recipes from Haley's recipe book. I cooked Haley's asparagus and mushroom risotto as well as her stuffed peppers! Yum! I was looking forward to having risotto leftovers, but Rick got to them before I did. What a bummer!


I also cooked my mom's meatballs which came out soooo good! Rick and I almost decided to ignore the pasta and spaghetti sauce altogether in order to focus our efforts on those meatballs. Delicious!


Rick and I are really excited about our plans for this weekend! Right after I publish this post, I'm going to hop in the shower and get ready for the Oyster Bake and Crawfish Boil that is being hosted at the Club XL, which is the officer's club on base. My stomach is growling just thinking about all of the delicious food we are about to eat! Then, tomorrow morning we will bring Dulce to puppy school where we are hoping she proves to the trainers that yes we have been training this crazy dog. After that we are heading up to Austin for the weekend to visit my family and to celebrate my Goddaughter Ryleigh's 6th birthday! Eeek I can't wait for her to open up her present from us. Until I post again...

Love,
The Mundys

No comments:

Post a Comment